Varieties of hosting services
A hosting service appertains to keeping and/or sharing particular web content on a web server run by a web hosting distributor. There are different categories of hosting services utilized for different ends, so let's take a gaze at these. Thus, you can determine what you want, on the basis of whether you desire to build a web page, email aliases, or to share files with buddies and partners.
- File hosting: a service delivered by particular web hosts, which permits you to share large files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archives, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole objective is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a list of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file storage packages frequently include ads next to the download links, while a timer forces you to await a specific amount of time to see them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you buy a paid file storage account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limit when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a totally inapt explanation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would split the tasks at hand between different stacks of web servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving various web site hosting services (email, web space, stats, DNS, databases, hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is just a kind of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; certain corporations provide a hosting service for images solely. This hosting variant is appropriate if you want to share a huge amount of images with chums or partners since the service is generally free of charge. You will receive a randomly generated link for each picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be utilized for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution dedicated to managing your email aliases. Some firms offer site hosting solutions for sites, but do not provide an e-mail solution. If you would like to have an email address with your domain name but do not desire to run a web site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you need. You can set up mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to some video clip, or you can embed the video file in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of utilizing this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video file brings about a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a handful of video clips and several hundred website visitors, you may have trouble with your webspace hosting quotas. Embedding the video clip will allow you to have as many videos as you want to without hassling about system quotas.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you need if you would like to own a web site. To some extent, it consists of all of the aforesaid hosting kinds since, along with your web sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can have databases and mail addresses, upload video files, and so on. At Free Hostia, for example, you can take a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated server hosting services that enable you to get all of the abovementioned services in one location. There may be limitations depending on the kind of hosting service that you've opted for - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your site hosting plan may be better or worse juxtaposed to the conventional e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are intended for particular web content exclusively.